Oromia Agricultural Research Institute(IQQO)
Nekemte Soil Research Center
The overall objective the center is to make soil test based fertilizer calibration study for major food crops mainly cereals maize, teff, and wheat, in diversified agro-ecologies; to give soil analysis services, especially for acid soil reclamation program through lime application of the right fertilizer types rates where soil nutrients are deficient, to provide technical advises on soil related problems and finally to increase production and productivity of crops based on specific crop nutrient requirement and recommendation according to agro-ecology of the area.
- To Characterize, classify and map soil resource and soil fertility map.
- Giving recommendation to problematic soils depending on soil analysis datas.
- To know the soil fertility status of the mandate area.
- Fertilizer type and rate recommendation.
- Soil analysis service (for acid soil reclamation program and others).
- To multiply and distribute rhizobium bacteria (biofertilizer).
- To increase production and productivity of crops based on specific crop nutrient requirement and recommendation according to agro-ecology of the area.
Through improving innovativeness and knowledge, NSRC delivers technologies that increase production and productivity of agriculture and boosts raw material supply for industry and contribute for the improvement of overall livelihood of society in Oromia in sustainable basis. Thus, to adapt, generate and transfer scientific knowledge and technologies for farming and pastoral communities for sustainable agricultural development.
By increasing agricultural technologies, in 2025 E.C. brings basic/ fundamental changes in agricultural productivity at farm level.
Research Process Description
- Natural Resource Research Process
- Agricultural economics, Agricultural Extension and Gender Research Process
- Soil fertility Improvement and Problematic Soil team
- Soil Resource Survey Team
- Soil Testing Team
- Natural Resource Technology Multiplication Team
- Agricultural Economics Research Team
- Agricultural Extension and Gender Research Team
The Center found on 328km at the west direction of Addis Ababa at Nekemte town. It is located an altitude of 2140 masl, 09.089770 North and 036.572640 East longitude. An average annual rain fall and temperature of Nekemte is 1998mm and 17.50c respectively.
Tel: - +251576615015
P. O. Box 587, Nekemte.
Address Zone: - East Wollega
District: - Guto Gida
Town: - Nekemte